Wednesday, September 10

Parent Support for At Home Reading & Back To School Parent Input Form Freebie

It is so helpful to parents when we provide strategies and tips for working with their children at home! Their input at Back to School time can be so helpful, too! I'm a big fan of parent communication - I'm super blessed to work in a community where parents support education and work with their children. In order to help set them up for success, communication helps out!
take home books at home reading growing firsties first grade
Parent Information Night is Thursday night and I've been getting a bunch of stuff ready!

One of the things I've been getting ready is this...which, of course, I'm sharing with you! You guys are the best!!! I can't thank you enough for your kind words, emails, comments and support!
I laminated mine, numbered them with student numbers and my classroom code 1-M.

UPDATE: The typo has been fixed! (But not 'til after mine were laminated, of course. I'm NOT re-doing them!) I had a few fab proofreaders and read it myself 9 million times before finalizing, but we all missed it. Uggg.

The goal is for them to stand inside the students Take Home Book envelopes for parents to refer to throughout the year as their readers grow and evolve.



I use letter size poly envelopes like  these or these or these because they last all year long (after I lay down the expectations on how to take care of them)!

This is all in an effort to support and enrich the foundation of reading workshop...which is to build readers who read like a star (s=study, t=think, a=ask & r=respond):

All three of my reading workshop packs are available in a bundle or individually (Finding Proof, Teaching Readers to Self-MonitorBuilding STAR Readers,  .

This note provides explanations and examples of how they can provide support and compliment their reader from the lenses of word-solving, fluency & comprehension.


The other side has the Word-Solving strategies, a tidbit about fluency and an image from my READ bulletin board in the classroom.

I have a hyperlink to the word-solving strategies in the download of this letter or you can snag them up right here, too.

You can download this At Home Reading for Parents freebie below...I hope it helps you out!!!


For building your classroom community with a culture of kindness, you might want to check this mini-unit out, too! You can see more about it in this blog post {HERE} or on TpT {HERE}.



You might also like this back to school freebie from my TpT store. It's a zipped file containing a non-editable pdf and a Powerpoint file that you can edit & tweak to your heart's content for your classroom. (Uncomfortable, but necessary, terms of use...please do not edit the file and then redistribute it, claiming it as your own.)
Growing Firsties  Growing Firsties first grade

Growing Firsties - classroom community

Have you seen this post by my wonderful bloggy pal, Valerie from All Students Can Shine? She's amazing! Check out her wonderful letter for parents with tips for reading at home. Click the pic below to head over and check it out!
SHARE:

28 comments

  1. Great resource! Thank you for sharing!! I'll be printing this off today and sending it home!!!

    Nicole
    Lanier's Lions

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your posts makes me miss teaching primary!!:) love it! Your parents (& kids) will benefit so much from this "PD" ("Parent Development")

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful! Just what we need to send home with our kiddos.
    A MILLION thanks.
    Cindy
    Granny Goes to School

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is AWESOME! I work with a lot of parents who want to help their kids at home but don't really know how - I love to have resources like this on hand during parent meetings :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing, Lisa! This is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an awesome resource. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing it with us! Just wanted to let you know that on page 3 where the guidelines are the last line reads " make it your child's responsibility to return it school every single day." I think you're missing the word "to" after school. I do those kinds of mistakes all the time, especially when I am typing things fast. :)

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie! Thank you SO much for telling me! I will change it tonight. UGH. I had editors look it over and I re-read it 19 batrillion times. Gah.

      Delete
  7. thank you for the freebies! I grabbed them and I know they will be very helpful!
    Thanks!
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Starting my Home Reading this week. Thanks for the great documents!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you!! This freebie is awesome! Definitely printing it out to send home with my students in their home reading folders!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Children will develop their skills better when they get the necessary support from parents. Learning continues even at home and there are resources that can assist parents in teaching a child.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing resource to send home to parents. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are fabulous, my friend! Love these! I will be printing off and placing on desks for Open House! Love!!

    Love you!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! Thanks for sharing!!

    Terri Izatt
    KinderKapers

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is perfect for my parents! Just what I have been looking for, thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a helpful note to send home for parents! Thanks so much for sharing it!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are so great! Thank you so much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is great! Thanks so much!!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank so much for linking up to the Ultimate List of Kindergarten Summer Reads! Great resource for teachers to help their families!

    Jennifer with Simply Kinder

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lisa,
    I love the idea of getting parents involved in helping make my students successful readers. I'm going to send this home for open house. I just have one question. Do you send books home with your students? What did you have your students return to school everyday? A reading log? This is my first year teaching first grade (been in kindergarten for 10 years).
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leah! I have students bring home two books per day in their book envelope (I use poly envelopes like these.). Inside the envelope are the books and the laminated parent letter described above. I put a label on the outside with the student's name and "Please read and return tomorrow." If students don't bring back their envelope/books, they cannot take any new ones home. I used to do reading logs, but have found that kids are more likely to do the reading if they (or their parents) don't have to fill out a log. In our district our students have independent level texts in their book boxes, so the books should be on the easy side. Welcome to first grade! :-)

      Delete

© Growing Firsties. All rights reserved.
Design by Laugh Eat Learn // Theme by Pipdig